angle-up angle-right angle-down angle-left close user menu open menu closed search globe bars phone store

Supplemental ID Documents

You might have to provide a supplemental ID document if:

  • the test center administrator questions your primary ID document
  • your primary ID document is otherwise acceptable but is missing your full name, photograph or signature

You can't use supplemental ID documents to resolve last-name discrepancies. Contact TOEFL® Services before test day to handle that.

Note: If you can't provide acceptable supplemental ID (see below) that includes your signature, you can present 2 government-issued IDs with photographs, as long as they're in the same name you used when you registered.

Acceptable Supplemental ID

The following ID documents are generally acceptable as supplemental ID:

  • Government-issued ID card (including, but not limited to, those listed under Acceptable Primary ID Documents)
  • Student ID card
  • Confirmation of identity letter from your educational institution. This letter must be typed or printed on the original letterhead of the educational institution you attend(ed) and, in addition to meeting all of the ID Document Requirements, must include your date of birth and the date issued. Additionally, a school official's signature and the school seal must be present and both must overlap your photograph, as shown below. Such letters are valid for only one year from the date issued.
    Image of confirmation of identity letter
  • Driver's license renewals
    • If you are in the U.S. military and the expiration of your driver's license has been extended or deferred by the issuing state, it can be used as supplemental ID along with your U.S. military ID card. Depending on the state, the extension or deferral may consist of a sticker on the license, the designation "military" printed in place of an expiration date, or a separate document carried with the license, usually with a notation that the license is valid for a specific amount of time after discharge from service.
    • If your driver's license has expired but you present it along with your Original Department of Public Safety renewal certificate, the 2 documents together can be accepted if the names match exactly. If you have a temporary paper license instead of a renewal certificate, that is acceptable only if it is accompanied by an acceptable supplemental ID.