Frequently Asked Questions About the TOEFL® Essentials™ Test
- In what countries is the TOEFL® Essentials™ test available?
- The TOEFL Essentials test is offered worldwide.
- Who accepts the TOEFL Essentials test?
An increasing number of universities and institutions have confirmed their acceptance of TOEFL Essentials scores as part of their program's English-language requirements, and the list continues to grow.
A survey of nearly 250 institutions in the United States, Canada and the U.K. showed that:
- 90% of institutions/programs would likely accept TOEFL Essentials scores for admissions use for classes enrolling in 2022, with 71% likely to accept it for full or conditional admission
- 95% of surveyed institutions saw the TOEFL Essentials test as beneficial in attracting quality applicants, with over 70% seeing it as highly or very beneficial
- Will the TOEFL Essentials test replace the TOEFL iBT® test?
No. The TOEFL iBT test, which can be taken in a test center or at home, will always be offered as the flagship, gold-standard English-language test in the TOEFL® Family of Assessments. The TOEFL Essentials test provides an additional option for you to demonstrate your English proficiency. With two tests to choose from, you can choose the test that is a better fit for you, based on your testing style, preferences and the requirements of your institution.
- Do I need to take both the TOEFL iBT test and the TOEFL Essentials test?
No. These tests are designed so that either one would fulfill an institution’s English-language proficiency requirement. Check with the institution directly to confirm their requirements.
- How do I register?
- Can I use the TOEFL® Official App to register for the TOEFL Essentials Test?
No. You must register, reschedule or cancel via your ETS account online.
- Can I retake the test?
Yes. There's no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you must wait at least 3 days before taking it again.
- What types of questions are on the test?
To learn about how the TOEFL Essentials test is structured and what types of questions are on the test, see Test Content.
- How can I prepare for the test?
There are 3 free, full-length TOEFL Essentials Official practice tests to help you prepare for test day. To access them, see Test Prep.
- Can I use TOEFL iBT test prep materials and resources to prepare for the TOEFL Essentials test?
TOEFL iBT test prep materials can help you improve your English skills overall. However, the two tests have different content and question types, so TOEFL Essentials prep materials will be closest to the experience of that test.
- The TOEFL Essentials test is a multistage adaptive test. How does an adaptive test work?
In general, in an adaptive test, when you answer questions correctly, you will be given more difficult questions. If you answer questions incorrectly, you will be given less difficult questions.
- Which sections of the test are adaptive?
- The Listening, Reading and Writing sections are adaptive; the Speaking section is not.
- Is there a break in the test?
No, unless a break is approved as a testing accommodation.
- Am I required to record a Personal Video Statement since it is unscored?
All test takers are expected to record the Personal Video Statement, unless they have an exception as part of a testing accommodation. It's a convenient way to show admissions officers a little about yourself beyond the test.
Troubleshooting Technical Issues
- What if I fail the ProctorU® Equipment Check?
You must resolve all issues (shown in red) and pass the equipment check prior to checking in for your test. If you can't resolve the issues yourself, contact ProctorU using the contact form at the bottom of the equipment check page. Live Help Desk Technicians are available to assist you.
- Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prevent issues?
- Run the ProctorU Equipment Check at the time of day you plan to test to make sure you don't have any bandwidth issues.
- Run a final equipment check shortly before your test session starts.
- Close all browsers and applications not needed for the test. This can help prevent bandwidth issues while you test.
- Make sure any other devices in your household that use internet are not running.
For additional information and troubleshooting help, visit the ProctorU Test-taker Resource Page.
- What if I have an issue right before my test starts?
If you have technical issues immediately before your test, contact ProctorU:
- Live Chat:
- Live Chat
- What if I have a technical issue and my start time is extended?
This won't affect the amount of time you have to complete the test. The timer for your test doesn't begin until the proctor enters the password.
- What if I have a technical issue during my test?
If you're still connected to the test, you can speak and wave your hand to get the proctor’s attention. It may take the proctor 30 to 60 seconds to respond, since they're also monitoring other test takers.
If you've been disconnected from the test but you still have internet access, you can notify the proctor via the LogMeIn chat function. The chat icon (a blue owl) can be found on the task bar for a PC and on the menu bar for Mac®.
- What if I lose internet during the test?
If you lose your internet connection momentarily, you'll automatically be reconnected to the proctor when your connection is restored. If your exam can be reopened, your proctor will do so for you.
If you aren't able to reconnect and speak to the proctor via the LogMeIn chat function, call ProctorU at +1-855-772-8678 for assistance.
Scoring and Reporting
- How do I send my scores to an institution?
Order score reports when you register, or any time, from your ETS account. You can send scores to as many institutions as you want, at no additional charge.
Note that there is a limit of 20 score reports per transaction.
- Do TOEFL Essentials scores correspond to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) levels?
Yes, scores for the TOEFL Essentials test are linked to CEFR levels A1 to C2. This will be indicated on the score report.
- Will score reports for the TOEFL Essentials test include MyBest® scores?
- Yes. MyBest scores are the combination of the best section scores from all valid TOEFL Essentials tests in the last two years.
- If I took both a TOEFL Essentials test and a TOEFL iBT test, would my MyBest scores combine scores from both tests?
MyBest scores are reported separately for the TOEFL iBT and TOEFL Essentials tests. The tests have different score scales and cannot be combined.
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us