About the TOEFL® Essentials™ Test
- Official Acceptances Continue to Grow. Many institutions are still making their decisions about accepting the test and setting score requirements. See the list of institutions that have specifically noted their acceptance.
- Surveys Show Strong Interest. We expect the TOEFL Essentials test to be widely accepted by institutions that already accept the TOEFL iBT® test. Our research found that more than 90% of surveyed universities in the United States, Canada and the U.K. would likely accept the TOEFL Essentials test for admissions.
- Confirm Their Requirements. Check with institutions directly about their requirements.
- Academic and General Content. The test measures your English skills in a variety of environments, beyond just academic.
- Multistage Adaptive Format Design. The test questions adjust to your skill level as you go through the test.
- Short, Fast-paced Tasks. The test uses a simple, flexible approach to create an engaging testing experience.
- 4 Sections. The test measures the core skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Personal Video Statement. The 5-minute, unscored video allows institutions to get to know you and see your unique personality.
- 1 ½ Hours. It's shorter than most English tests, but long enough to measure your skills accurately.
- Instant Scoring. See your unofficial Listening and Reading scores at the end of the test as an early indicator of your performance.
- Unlimited Score Reports. Send as many score reports to institutions as you need to, at no additional cost.
- MyBest® Scores. All TOEFL Essentials score reports include the combination of your best TOEFL Essentials section scores from all valid tests in the last 2 years.
- Foundational Skills. Score reports feature measures of Vocabulary Knowledge and Sentence Construction.
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us