You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification each time you report to a test center. It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up to date and available on the day of your GRE® General Test.
Your ID requirements depend on your country of citizenship and where you plan to test. See ID Requirements. If you do not bring valid and acceptable ID, or if the name on your ID does not exactly match the name on your registration, you will not be permitted to test and your test fee will not be refunded.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the first and last name you used to register exactly matches (excluding accents) the name on the ID document(s) you will present at the test center. For example, a last name of Fernandez de Córdova would be entered as Fernandez de Cordova.
- If the test administrator questions the ID you present, you may be required to provide supplemental ID. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may not be permitted to test or your test score may be withheld.
- You are encouraged to bring at least two forms of acceptable ID each time you report to a test center. Prior admission to a test center based on a given ID document does not assure that that document will be considered acceptable. Test centers are not required to hold your seat if you leave the center to obtain acceptable identification.
- Admission to the test center does not assure that the ID you provided is valid or that your scores will be reported. All reported cases of questionable ID are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity either during or after the test administration. ETS reserves the right to withhold and/or cancel scores in the event that the ID requirements set forth herein are not met.
- You may be required to show your ID and/or to sign a test center log at various points throughout the test administration.
- Your test fees will not be refunded if you are not permitted to test or if your scores are withheld or canceled because of invalid or unacceptable ID.
ID verification at the test center may include:
- Biometric voice and photo identification
- Video recording
- Signature comparison
If you refuse to participate, you will not be permitted to test and you will forfeit your test fees. This is in addition to the requirement that you must present acceptable and valid identification.
Register for the GRE General Test
The official practice tests from the maker of the test gives you the experience of taking the real, computer-delivered GRE General Test and more!
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.