The Criterion® Online Writing Evaluation service is a web-based, instructor-led writing tool used for automated essay grading, assessing student progress and academic performance in English Language Arts (ELA) curriculum as well as cross-curriculum. The service gives instructors and administrators at schools, universities and institutions a comprehensive writing solution to help students develop their writing ability and improve their English-writing skills.
The Criterion service allows students to improve their writing skills while working independently with immediate, detailed feedback on grammar, spelling, mechanics, usage, and organization and development. Students get more writing practice without adding to instructor workload, and instructors can concentrate on the content and the style of their students' work and teach higher-level writing skills.
Instructors can use their own topics or select from the Criterion topic library of more than 400 essay assignments at various skill levels. Because it is offered online, both instructors and students can access the Criterion service anywhere — from school, home or any place with an internet connection.
Learn more about why you should choose the Criterion service.
An Efficient Teaching Tool in the Classroom or Online
The Criterion service offers assignment management, allowing teachers to post assignments for students to complete inside of the classroom, and is widely used for online teaching as well. This remote teaching platform helps students plan, write and revise their essays and receive immediate diagnostic feedback. Students are then able to receive more opportunities to practice writing and reach their own student achievement goal.
Criterion Service Features
- Immediate, automated scoring and diagnostic review
- Alignment to Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- A new Peer Review Tool that allows peer groups to view and comment on each other's work
- In-depth customizable reports — both student and group reports for two kinds of valuable performance data
- Embedded teacher comments and student/teacher dialogue boxes
- Hundreds of topics in the Criterion service library for instructors to choose from
- A Writer's Handbook (available for Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and English Language Learning levels, as well as in Spanish/English, Simplified Chinese/English, Japanese/English and Korean/English)
- Unlimited and convenient access — log in anytime, anywhere there is internet access
- Compatibility across multiple operating platforms, including iPad® tablets
Learn more about how the Criterion service works.