About the Test
- What is the difference between the TOEFL® PBT test and the revised TOEFL® Paper-delivered Test?
They are similar in many ways. Both tests measure 3 skills. There is no speaking component due to the technology required to capture speaking responses. TOEFL paper testing is only offered in locations where testing via the internet is not available.
The main difference is that the revised test is more closely aligned with the TOEFL iBT® test. The TOEFL iBT test is preferred by institutions because it requires test takers to integrate their communication skills — for example, listening to a lecture, reading a passage, and then writing a response. Integrating skills gives a more accurate indication of a test taker’s ability to communicate in English. The revised paper test also requires test takers to combine their skills.
- What is the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test like?
The revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test is administered in a paper-and-pencil format, has 3 sections and takes about 3 hours. There is no scheduled break during the test.
Learn more about test content and structure.
- What am I tested on in each section?
- Listening measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in a university classroom.
- Reading measures the ability to understand non-technical reading material written in English.
- Writing measures the ability to write in English on an assigned topic.
- Are all the questions multiple choice?
All of the questions in the Listening and Reading sections are multiple choice. The Writing section consists of two essay questions.
- If I am running out of time, should I guess or leave some answers blank?
- Make every effort to complete each section. Data indicate most test takers get higher scores if they finish the test.
- There is a chance that random guessing at the end of a section can seriously lower scores. The best strategy is to pace yourself so you have enough time to consider each question without guessing.
- How and when do I register to take the test?
- How much does the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test cost?
The test fee is US$180. See TOEFL Testing and Service Fees for payment information.
- When will I have my admission ticket?
If you do not receive your admission ticket by 2 weeks before the test date, contact TOEFL Services.
- How do I cancel or reschedule my registration?
Test date changes are not permitted. If you do not take the test and do not register for another date, you may request a partial refund of half the registration fee by submitting the Refund Request Form . If you wish to take the test on another date, submit a new registration form and test fee.
Do not contact the test center before the day of the test. Staff at the test center will not have the information necessary to help you. Contact TOEFL Services if you need help.
- What must I bring on test day?
You will need:
- valid ID with your name, signature and photograph (see what to bring on test day)
- your admission ticket
- your signed Photo File Record with a recent, recognizable photo
- 3 or 4 sharpened soft-lead (No. 2 or HB) pencils and a good eraser
- I have a disability. How will I be accommodated?
Accommodations are provided for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs who meet ETS requirements.
On Test Day
- What should I bring on test day?
- Are personal items allowed?
You can bring only your approved identification (ID) document(s), admission ticket, photo file record and pencils into the testing room.
- Can I be dismissed from the test center?
Yes. See Scoring Policies.
Scores and Score Reports
- How and when do I get my scores?
Score reports will be provided to you and any score recipients you selected about 5 weeks after the test date, with the exception of the test date in October 2017. Scores for the October 2017 test date will be provided approximately 7 weeks after the test.
Allow 7–10 days after the mailing date for delivery within the continental United States, and additional time for other areas. If your scores have not been received 7 weeks after your test date, or 9 weeks if you took the test in October 2017, contact TOEFL Services.
Your test fee includes a test taker score report for you, and up to 4 official score reports sent from ETS directly to your selected institutions.
- How do I order additional score reports?
Print out a copy of the Additional Score Report Request Form and follow the instructions on the back of the form for completing and mailing or faxing your request and payment.
Read more about ordering additional score reports.
- What is the score scale?
Each of the 3 sections is scored on a scale of 0–30. There is no total score.
- How long will my scores be valid?
Scores are valid for 2 years after the test date.
- How can I cancel my scores?
Complete the score cancellation section of your answer sheet on test day, or contact TOEFL Services within 1 week of your test date.