Valid, Acceptable Identification (ID) Document(s)
Test takers are advised to bring at least 2 forms of acceptable ID each time they report to a test center. With few exceptions, ID documents must meet all of the following requirements. Each ID document must:
- be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable
- be valid; expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable
- include the test taker's full name matching exactly the name used to register
- include a recent photograph that clearly matches the test taker
- include the test taker's signature
For more information, see Identification Requirements.
If you do not bring valid and acceptable identification, or if the name on your ID does not exactly match the name on your registration, you will not be permitted to test and your test fee will not be refunded.
- You may be required to show your ID and/or to sign a test center log at various points throughout the test administration.
- If the test administrator questions the ID you present, you may be required to provide a supplemental ID. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may not be permitted to test or your test scores may be held or canceled.
- Prior admission to a test center based on a given ID document does not guarantee that that document will be considered acceptable. Test centers are not required to hold your seat if you leave the center to obtain acceptable identification.
- Admission to the test center does not assure that the ID you provided is valid or that your scores will be reported. All reported cases of questionable ID are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity either during or after the test administration. ETS reserves the right to hold and/or cancel scores in the event that the ID requirements set forth herein are not met.
- Your test fee will not be refunded if you are not permitted to test or if your scores are held or canceled because of invalid or unacceptable ID.
Personal items other than your ID document(s) are not allowed in the testing room. Any items you choose to bring to the test center may be inspected and/or confiscated.
Ready to take the TOEFL iBT® test?
Includes 5 authentic, full-length TOEFL iBT practice tests with previously administered questions for all 4 skills, with an interactive DVD-ROM. Purchase now >
Get the only official practice test that gives you the experience of taking the real TOEFL iBT® test. Order now >
Practice with the only authentic TOEFL® test prep guide created by ETS. Also available as an eBook. Purchase now >