- Testing Within Your Country of Citizenship
- Testing Outside Your Country of Citizenship
- Testing in Mainland China
- Testing in Taiwan
- Testing in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Nigeria
- Testing in Saudi Arabia
- Testing in the Philippines
- Testing in the United Arab Emirates
- Testing in European Union/Schengen Zone/Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Arab Countries/Mercosur Countries
Information for ALL Test Takers
All test takers must read the identification information and requirements on this page.
- You must have acceptable and valid ID with name, signature and photograph to be admitted to a test center. Your complete name and signature as shown on your ID must match the name you registered under, even if your name has changed (for any reason, including marriage or divorce).
If your name has changed since you registered for a test, you must ensure that you have appropriate ID matching the name on your registration to show at the test center. It is recommended that you have ID in the correct name BEFORE you complete the registration process. Additionally, you must create a new online SLS account providing your name exactly as it appears on the primary identification you will present on test day. When creating your new account, leave the Social Security number (SSN) field blank to avoid technical issues. After the new account is created, you will have the opportunity to enter your SSN by clicking the "Update Personal or Contact Information" link.
ID verification at registration, and/or check-in at the test center may include:
- Biometric voice and photo identification
- Signature comparison
If you refuse to participate, you may not be permitted to test and you will forfeit your test fees. This is in addition to the requirement that you must present acceptable and valid identification.
- All documents must be original and not expired and documents cannot be presented on a cell phone or any other electronic device. There is one exception regarding expired documentation. If your driver’s license has expired, but you present it along with your original Department of Public Safety renewal certificate, these two documents together are acceptable provided the names on both documents match exactly. If a provisional driver’s license is issued in lieu of a renewal certificate, this is acceptable as a primary ID document if it contains your photo, signature and an expiration date.
- Photo IDs must be original, recognizable and not expired. (Exception to expired driver's license with renewal certificate, see above.)
- Without required identification, the test center staff will not admit you, which will forfeit your registration and test fees. If test center staff questions the ID you present, you may be required to provide a valid supplemental ID. For this reason, we encourage you bring two forms of approved ID each time you report to a test center. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may not be permitted to test or your test score may be withheld.
- No copies will be accepted.
When You Register
- When registering, use your name as it appears exactly (including accents) on your primary ID that you present at the test center. If the name shown on your primary ID does not match your registration record, you will not be permitted to test. You will forfeit your test fees.
- Provide your entire first name (given name) and entire last name (family name). Enter names exactly as they appear on your ID. If your identification contains two last names, you must enter the names exactly as they appear on your identification.
- If your name exceeds the maximum number of characters allowed by the registration system fields, enter as much of your name that matches your ID into the field. When you arrive to your test, the check-in screen will display the shortened name you entered. Test center staff will admit you for testing as long as your name/characters on the check-in screen match those on your ID. For example, the full name "Mariechristine Johnson-Hernandez" listed on the ID, may only show as "Mariechristine Johnson-Hernand" on the check-in screen.
At the Test Center
- Misspellings can be corrected at check-in; name changes will not be made.
- If your name has changed for any reason, including marriage, you must present primary ID in the name under which you registered for the test. Marriage certificates and divorce decrees will not be accepted to confirm name differences.
- If the first name on your primary ID contains only a first initial, a valid supplemental ID will be required.
- If your ID does not contain your signature, you must sign it or present a valid supplemental ID.
- If the test center personnel questions the ID, you will be required to present additional proof of identity. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may be refused admission to the test center and you will forfeit your test fees. You will have to submit a new registration and pay a new test fee in order to test (at a later date).
- Test center personnel will check your photo identification before seat assignment and before and after testing breaks.
- Test centers are not required to reserve your seat if you leave the center to obtain ID.
- Cases of questionable identification are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity.
ACCEPTABLE PRIMARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
Testing WITHIN Your Country of Citizenship
Only one form of primary ID is needed containing your name, photograph and a signature.
Acceptable primary ID include:
- Passport with name, photograph and signature
- Valid government-issued driver's license with name, photograph and signature
- State or province ID issued by a motor vehicle agency with name, photograph and signature
- National ID with name, photograph and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph and signature
A valid supplemental ID may be required if the test center administrator has concerns about the primary ID. If your primary ID does not contain your signature, sign the document or present a valid supplemental ID document.
Testing OUTSIDE Your Country of Citizenship
- You must present a valid passport as your primary ID document. If you do not meet this requirement, you may not be admitted to test.
- If your passport is not written in English, you must present a valid English-language supplemental ID with a clear, recent photo.
- If your passport does not contain your signature, either sign your passport or present a supplemental ID.
- U.S. military personnel may present their U.S. military ID cards for admission to test centers. If a military ID does not contain a signature, a supplemental ID is required.
- Diplomatic and embassy ID cards will not be accepted as primary ID in place of a passport.
The following documents are acceptable for admission outside your country of citizenship if combined with a valid supplemental ID:
- Permanent Resident Card/Resident Alien Card
- Temporary Resident Card
- Employment Authorization Card
- Mexican Border Crosser Card (accepted at test centers within 25 miles of the Mexican border).
Testing in Mainland China
- Residents of Mainland China, must present a valid Second Generation National Resident ID Card as their primary ID document. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Residents of Taiwan must present their Travel Permit to Mainland China.
- Citizens from all other countries and locations must present a valid passport.
Testing in Taiwan
- Residents of Mainland China must present their Travel Permit to Taiwan.
- Citizens from all other countries and locations must present a valid passport.
Testing in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Nigeria
- You must present a valid passport with name, photograph and signature as your primary ID document.
- No exceptions will be made.
Testing in Saudi Arabia
- If you are working in Saudi Arabia and are not a citizen, you may use your employer-sponsored Iqama Residence Identification along with a supplemental ID that includes your name, photograph and signature. You must present two forms of identification.
Testing in the Philippines
In the Philippines you may present a Social Security System ID Card, issued by the Republic of the Philippines, that includes your name, photograph and signature along with a supplemental ID from the list of acceptable supplemental ID documents.
Driver’s license renewal certificate — temporary policy for the Philippines. If your driver’s license is expired and you have been issued a renewal certificate receipt, providing both documents together is acceptable as long as the name on the expired driver’s license and the name on the renewal certificate are the same.
Testing in the United Arab Emirates
- If you are testing in the United Arab Emirates, valid forms of ID that can be used are government-issued national/state/province identity card, including the Emirates Identity Card.
Testing in European Union/Schengen Zone/Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Arab Countries/Mercosur Countries
- If you are testing in a European Union, Schengen Zone, Arab States of the Gulf (GCC) countries or Mercosur countries other than the one where you reside, you can use your valid national or European identity card, if you have one. The card must contain your name; a recent, recognizable photo; your date of birth; and your signature. If this identification does not contain all of these elements, you will be required to present a second ID from the list of acceptable secondary identifications.
ACCEPTABLE SUPPLEMENTAL IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
If your primary ID is missing your photo or signature, or is otherwise questionable or unacceptable, you must present a current supplemental ID in addition to your primary ID. The supplemental ID must contain your name; a clear, recent photo; and your signature. Supplemental ID documents may not be used to resolve last name discrepancies. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your admission ticket.
Acceptable supplemental ID documents include:
- Government-issued ID including, but not limited to:
- driver's license
- state/province ID card
- national ID
- military ID
- Student ID
- Confirmation letter of identity from your educational institution. The letter must be typed on school letterhead, with the name and signature of the school official. The school seal must overlap your photo and not be older than one year from testing date. It must also include:
- date of birth
- recent, clear photo
- your signature
- date of issue
UNACCEPTABLE ID DOCUMENTS
- any expired ID (Exception: If your driver’s license has expired, but you present it along with your original Department of Public Safety renewal certificate, these two documents together are acceptable if the names on both documents match exactly)
- any document that does not bear your last name exactly (including accents) as it appears on your admission ticket
- any ID document presented at the center on a cell phone or any other electronic device
- international driver's license
- draft classification card
- international student ID
- credit/debit card of any kind
- notary-prepared letter or document
- Social Security card
- employee ID card
- birth certificate
- learner's permit or any temporary identification document
- photocopied document
For general questions about acceptable ID, call:
1-800-205-2626 (United States, U.S. Territories and Canada)
1-609-771-7393 (all other locations)
It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up-to-date and available on the day of the test.
UNABLE TO MEET ID REQUIREMENTS
If you have been granted political asylum, have refugee status or are otherwise unable to meet the identification requirements, you must contact the ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI) at least seven days before registering to test. You must receive approval from OTI before you may register. You should also be prepared to submit any requested documents to OTI for review prior to receiving approval. If you do not contact OTI before you register, and as a result you are not permitted to test or your test scores are withheld, your test fees will not be refunded.
ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI)
- 7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. ET
SLS State Testing Requirements
Sign in to Your SLS Account
Register online, print admission tickets or view/order score reports.
Note: If you are currently signed in to your Praxis® account, please sign out before signing in to your SLS account.