Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for a limited number of slots for the Visiting Research Scholar Program. Scholars who meet the following criteria are invited to apply:
- You hold an academic or researcher appointment from a university, governmental, or nonprofit organization.
- You have a doctoral degree or are a recognized expert in a field of interest to ETS.
- You are fully self-funded or come with funding from your home institution, a foundation, or a government.
- Your proposed research is not in conflict with ETS products or services. Visiting scholars are invited to give a public presentation of their research while they are at ETS.
- ETS Research & Development (ETS R&D) will provide office space, telephone, and computer facilities as well as library access privileges to the scholars.
Visiting scholars are also welcome to attend ETS R&D seminars and presentations. ETS does not provide funds to assist visiting scholars with their travel or living expenses. For consideration, submit the following documentation to ETSVisitingResearchScholar@ets.org:
- Curriculum vitae
- Full list of publications
- One-page research proposal
- Statement of funding
Visiting scholars who require a J-1 visa will be responsible for covering visa application fees, travel-related costs, and health insurance as required by the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. In addition, the U.S. State Department requires that ETS ensure that visitors' English-language proficiency will permit day-to-day functioning and allow for a productive experience while they are in the United States. Applicants without standardized test scores may provide English-language proficiency certification from their home institutions. Certification is not needed for native English speakers.