To learn more about research related to the ETS® Proficiency Profile assessment, refer to the following reports:
- Investigating College Learning Gain: Exploring a Propensity Score Weighting Approach
Liu, O. L., Liu, H., Roohr, K. C., & McCaffrey, D. F. (2016)
Journal of Educational Measurement, 53(3), 352–367
Provides an evaluation of a propensity score weighting approach for matching freshmen and seniors prior to evaluating cross-sectional learning gains.
- Investigating Student Learning Gains in College: A Longitudinal Study
Roohr, K. C., Liu, H., & Liu, O. L. (2016)
Studies in Higher Education. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2016.1143925
Provides evidence of longitudinal learning gains in college using the ETS Proficiency Profile.
- The Effects of Motivational Instruction on College Students' Performance on Low-Stakes Assessment
Liu, O. L., Rios, J. A., & Borden, V. (2015)
Educational Assessment, 20, 79–94
Provides evidence to show that motivational instructions can increase students’ self-reported test-taking motivation.
- Identifying Low-Effort Examinees on Student Learning Outcomes Assessment: A Comparison of Two Approaches
Rios, J., Liu, O. L., & Bridgeman, B. (2014)
New Directions for Institutional Research, 161, 69–82
Provides an evaluation of two different approaches for identifying low-effort examinees including response time effort and self-reported effort.
- Investigating 10-Year Trends of Learning Outcomes at Community Colleges
Liu, O. L. & Roohr, K. C. (2013)
ETS Research Report (RR-13-34)
Provides trends in community college performance over a 10-year period and concurrent validity evidence.
- Investigating ESL Students' Performance on Outcomes Assessments in Higher Education
Larkin, J., Elliot, D., & Liu, O. L. (2012)
Educational and Psychological Measurement, 72(5),734–753
Provides validity evidence for using ETS Proficiency Profile with students who speak English as a second language.
- Measuring Learning Outcomes in Higher Education: Motivation Matters
Liu, O. L., Bridgeman, B., Adler, R. M. (2012)
Educational Researcher, 41(9), 352–362
Provides evidence that students' motivation to take higher education outcomes assessments has a significant impact on their test scores.
- Examining American Post-Secondary Education
Liu, O. L. (2011)
ETS Research Report Series (RR-11-22)
Provides a comprehensive review of issues in higher education.
- Outcomes Assessment in Higher Education: Challenges and Future Research in the Context of Voluntary System of Accountability
Liu, O. L. (2011)
Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 30(3), 2–9
Provides an overview of the field of learning outcomes research.
- Value-added Assessment in Higher Education: A Comparison of Two Methods
Liu, O. L. (2011)
Higher Education, 61(4), 445-461
Establishes and provides support to the value-added method that ETS currently employs for the ETS Proficiency Profile.
- R&D Connections: Measuring Learning Outcomes in Higher Education
Liu, O. L. (2009)
Report No. RDC-10
Provides insight into the issues surrounding accountability and measuring learning outcomes in higher education.
- Test Validity Study (TVS) Report
Klein, S., Liu, O. L., Sconing, J., Bolus, R., Bridgeman, B., Kugelmass, H., Nemeth, A., Robbins, S., & Steedle, J. (September 29, 2009)
Supported by the Fund for Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE)
Compares construct validity of three existing tests: ETS Proficiency Profile, CLA and CAAP.
- Measuring Learning Outcomes in Higher Education Using the Measure of Academic Proficiency and Progress (MAPP)
Liu, O. L. (2008)
ETS Research Report Series (RR-08-47)
Provides validity evidence for the ETS Proficiency Profile (formally MAPP) for value-added use.
- Validity of the Academic Profile
Marr, D. (1995)
Educational Testing Service
Provides construct validity evidence for the Academic Profile assessment.
Order tests, manage test administrations, run reports (for existing customers only)
Compare the performance of your students with those of a large group of students at other institutions.