The GRE® Program and GRE Board believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. Therefore, the GRE Program provides the GRE Fee Reduction Program for individuals who can demonstrate financial need, for those who are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation, and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups. A GRE Fee Reduction Voucher may be used for one GRE® General Test and/or one GRE® Subject Test. Voucher users pay 50 percent of the regular test fee. Fee Reduction Vouchers cannot be combined with other offers.
New in 2019–20: Beginning in July 2019, all test takers who receive a GRE General Test Fee Reduction voucher will also receive FREE access to the following GRE test preparation materials, a $100 value:
- POWERPREP PLUS® Online Practice Test 1 ($40 value)
- POWERPREP PLUS® Online Practice Test 2 ($40 value)
- ScoreItNow!™ Online Writing Practice ($20 value)
For Those With Financial Need
The GRE Program offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers on a first-come, first-served basis to U.S. citizens or resident aliens who are college seniors or unenrolled college graduates who meet eligibility requirements and are planning to take a GRE test in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands.
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates:
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher, students should complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request Form and follow the instructions on the form regarding submission of materials to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
Test Takers Who Would Like to Retest
Test takers who would like to retest can apply for another GRE Fee Reduction Voucher by completing and submitting the GRE® Fee Reduction Request Form to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
For Those Who Are Unemployed
ETS also offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers to individuals who can confirm that they are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation and are planning to take a GRE test in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands.
- a U.S. citizen or resident alien and 18 years or age or older
- currently unemployed and have become unemployed within the past six months
- able to submit a copy of an Unemployment Benefits Statement from the past 90 days as proof of unemployment
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher for the unemployed, students should complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request Form and follow the instructions on the form regarding the submission of materials to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
For Programs that Support Underrepresented Groups
GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers are also made available to the following programs:
- EducationUSA Opportunity Fund Program
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Management Leaders of Tomorrow
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- NSF Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
Prepaid Voucher Service
ETS offers prepaid vouchers for institutions and organizations that wish to pay GRE® test fees on behalf of sponsored test takers. Learn more.